Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Hot Mess: Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence in American Hustle


The only thing I didn't like about this movie
was how distractingly amazing the style was.


The last two weeks have flown by in a frenzy consisting of a mini-holiday (London, thank you for asking) and trying to figure out when I could see this film. It has now been a week since I saw it, and I still can't stop thinking about it.

Let's begin with the basics: I knew I was in love with this film when I saw Sydney (Amy Adams) wearing a white one-piece swimsuit. If I don't find one similar by summer, I may cry. My love was further solidified with a scene in which Sydney put on a little fashion show for the off-putting Irving (Christian Bale) in his dry-cleaning shop, wearing clothes that had been left behind by customers. A bit strange, yes, but the outfits were amazing.

In fact, all the clothes were amazing. 

Sydney mainly wore Diane von Furstenberg-esque wrap dresses and a startling amount of cleavage-revealing blouses paired with leather skirts. Actually, the cleavage was so dominant throughout this movie that I found myself often wondering "Will there be a scene without Amy Adams's boobs?". 

And then came Rosalyn (Jennifer Lawrence).

Suffice to say that I have found a new beauty inspiration. Her hair was incredible. 

It's difficult to decide whose style I prefer; the smart con-man-woman's, or the psycho-yet-ever-so-stylish bored housewife's? Hard to say, but somehow I find myself leaning towards Rosalyn.

Unsurprisingly, American Hustle has received a huge amount of awards already (both Amy and Jennifer got the Globe), including ten Oscar nominations. Obviously Best Costume Design is one of them, but I don't know if Michael Wilkinson's efforts are enough to beat The Great Gatsby. Thus far, his resumé consists most notably of TRON: Legacy (2010), Sucker Punch (2011), and the last two installments of The Twilight Saga (2011 and 2012). 

My money's still on Gatsby, but Wilkinson's achievement for this movie has not gone unnoticed.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Was it stylish for you?