Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Cult Status: Winona Ryder in Beetlejuice


All hail the Queen of the Emos.


I've never been a fan of Winona Ryder. Actually, scratch that. I pretty much loathe Winona Ryder. I honestly have yet to see a film in which I don't seriously detest her existence. 

This may sound relatively harsh, but I can't help the way I feel. I think most of my hatred comes from her voice. I hate her voice.

However, all that being said, I must admit that she does kind of hold a special place in the hearts of emos (and Tim Burton fans, but aren't they the same thing?) everywhere. After all, wasn't Lydia Deetz from Beetlejuice (1988) the original emo?

Her all-black clothes, weird black hair, obsession with death... wait, is she Wednesday Addams? No, Wednesday's too cool to be an emo.

Lydia probably didn't even know it, but she was an icon, way ahead of her time. Props to her, because even though she basically created the emo-style that is a little "So ten years ago", it was pretty much a movement.

At least in my teenage style-years.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Was it stylish for you?