Monday, April 29, 2013

Queen Bees: Shannen Doherty in Heathers

Mean Girls are so much more intimidating in mega shoulder-pads.


It has officially happened: I am no longer a student.

Well, I am technically, until graduation, but this hardly counts anymore. I have no more classes, lectures, essays or exams, EVER again. How depressing.

I'll look back at my years at university with fond memories, but all this reminiscing about student-life which is barely even over has me thinking about the earlier student years: high school. 

High school was brilliant. I loved all of it except the fact that we didn't really have a popular clique because there were so few of us. I kind of wish my high school (style) experience had been like Heathers (1988). If I had been part of a group like The Heathers, I would have definitely dressed the part: structured blazers, massive shoulder-pads, plaid skirts with black tights, and cute flats with white socks. Pure genius.

Unfortunately, I was in high school in the early-noughties, so my early student-style was limited to tiny denim skirts, super low-rise jeans and t-shirts. Yawn.

Oh well, at least my uni-style kept changing every now and then.

If I had to pick a favourite Heather, it would definitely be Heather Duke (Shannen Doherty). She's a bit of a bulimic pushover in the beginning, but once the lead-Heather dies, she rises to take her thrown. Respect.

Also, this film has some of the best one-liners ever: "Diet Coke-heads", "What is your damage?", "fuck me gently with a chainsaw" and "Dear Diary, my teen-angst bullshit now has a body count."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Was it stylish for you?