Saturday, March 23, 2013

Creepy Couture: Charlize Theron in Snow White and the Huntsman

There are just not enough occasions in life when you can 
lose your shit like the Evil Queen does.



I watched Snow White and the Hunstman (2012) when I was feeling a little blue yesterday, and I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Maybe it's because I thought Kristen Stewart was supposed to be the lead character in the film, but it turned out to that she hardly even spoke. She was just there.

Which was totally fine by me.

Charlize Theron obviously stole the show. Apparently her character's name is Ravenna, but I prefer to call her the Evil Queen. The Evil Queen's costumes were so amazing, I actually had to pause the film every now and then just so I could analyse them properly.

Did you know the costume designer, Colleen Atwood, has been nominated for an Oscar TEN times? And WON it three times (for Alice in Wonderland, Memoirs of a Geisha, and Chicago)? 

I have crazy respect for this woman right now.

AND she said that, for the Evil Queen's costumes, "there's always an element of trapped death". OH. MY. GAWD. Love her.

Anyway, enough gushing. 

The reason why I loved her costumes so much was because they we not only tremendously elaborate, but they were harsh, fantastical, and even a little scary at times (oh, and there were feathers. I LOVE feathers).

I will definitely watch this movie again, but fast-forward past everything else, and just watch the Queen. She's so demented, but stylish. She has these claw-like ring things that she uses to eat animals' HEARTS. What an icon.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Was it stylish for you?